Saturday, October 24, 2009

RICOTTA, BUTTERMILK AND RICE FLOUR PANCAKE



I woke up early this morning (so much for my sleep in!), so decided to walk down to the shops to grab a coffee, the Sunday papers and some salt to have on my avocado on toast. On my way to the shops the idea of pancakes popped into my head - I have no idea why! Then I remembered making ricotta pancakes as a kid (I've always loved being in the kitchen), that were fluffy and moist. So many gluten free pancakes that I have had have been dry or rubbery and left me feeling like I had swallowed a brick! As I walked around the isles of Franklins I thought about how I could try and create a gluten free ricotta pancake, and must say I was pretty impressed with myself when it worked first go! So here's the recipe for you to try for yourself...

INGREDIENTS

1/3C rice flour
pinch salt
1 tsp caster sugar
1 egg
1/4C ricotta
1/4C buttermilk
extra ricotta,
frozen raspberries and maple syrup to serve

METHOD
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl with a fork until a smooth batter forms.
2. Heat a small, non-stick frypan over low/medium heat with a small piece of butter (you could use a vegetable oil). Once butter has melted, pour batter into frypan.
3. When bubbles form on the top side of the batter, flip the pancake over and keep on heat until cooked through - it should still be a bit moist inside though.
4. Serve with a dollop of ricotta, some thawed frozen raspberries and lashings of maple syrup.

Makes one pancake - which is enough to fill me up for breakfast. Multiply the mix by however many pancakes you want to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment