Wednesday, September 30, 2009

LEMON MERINGUE PIE



Continuing with my obsession of The Pastry Pantry pastry, I decided to make a lemon meringue pie. It was delicious! I even fed it to five non-gluten free people (the ultimate trial!) and they loved it, commenting that the pastry was great.

I followed the instructions on the back of the sweet shortcrust pastry pack to cook the pastry. It will look a little soft when it comes out of the oven, but it firms right up once it cools, so don't be tempted to cook it for longer.

For the filling I used a lemon curd recipe from donna hay magazine that you can get here. Just ensure that the cornflour is made from corn and not wheat!

Once you have put the filling in the pastry shell and refrigerated for at least 2 hours, beat up 4 egg whites until soft peaks form, then gradually add 1 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of vinegar (gluten free - I used white wine vinegar) until the mixture is thick and stiff peaks form. Pile the mixture on top of the lemon curd then pop under a medium grill until the meringue is golden and has firmed up. Pop it back in the fridge for a while and then it's ready to serve.


2 comments:

  1. this is really interesting, because i tried tpp 'puff' pastry and it was absolutely the most hideous gf thing i have ever eaten! it leaked vegetable fat, was not not puffy in the least, and had a very unusual aroma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I'm not sure if you saw my post on chicken and leek pot pies that I made with The Pastry Pantry Rough Puff pastry? It certainly didn't 'puff' like regular puff pastry, but I didn't have the other problems that you mentioned - perhaps you had a dud batch? It may be worth letting TPP know the problems that you had? I highly recommend trying the sweet shortcrust pastry though, it is really good!

    ReplyDelete